Applications to the Ph.D. program in International Business
Due January 15, 2018
We are seeking exceptional students for the PhD program with a focus on International Business at the George Washington University (GWU) School of Business to start in the Fall, 2018 semester.
Detailed information about the application process and online applications can be found at the GWU School of Business website: http://business.gwu.edu/programs/doctoral-programs/international-business/
We offer students a diverse, well-recognized and strong International Business Department. The undergraduate International Business program was ranked 9th in the nation in U.S. News & World Report’s 2018 Best Colleges Rankings. The graduate International Business program was ranked 7th among 2017 MBA programs by the Financial Times (FT). In 2017 the annual U.S. News & World Report’s survey ranked the graduate International Business program 13th. For the PhD program, the research and expertise of the faculty of the International Business Department spans a broad theoretical base, including economics, political science, finance, management and banking. The multi-disciplinary perspectives are facilitated by the eclectic expertise of our program faculty.
• We have a large group of faculty who publish in top journals and university presses, with several faculty co-authoring articles with their PhD students.
• Many of our faculty members are serving/have served on the Editorial Review Boards of several top journals, including the Journal of International Business, Organization Science, the Global Strategy Journal, and the Strategic Management Journal. We currently have faculty members serving as Associate Editors at the Strategic Management Journal and the Global Strategy Journal.
• Our faculty have served on the Executive Committees of the organizing committees of major conferences in our field as well as being track chairs for several conferences (including the Academy of Management (AOM) and the Academy of International Business (AIB) Annual Meeting. This includes two past Chairs and a current Program Chair for the International Management Division for the AOM.
• Our faculty have a strong record of receiving external grants to support their research.
• GWU is also a designated Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER) (funded by the U.S. Department of Education), which provides students with resources for research and teaching in the areas of Institutions, the State, and Development in International Business.
Both the GW Business School and the International Business Department recently revised the requirements for the PhD program to enhance and strengthen the quality of the program. Our goal is to produce well-trained students who wish to obtain academic appointments at top tier schools in their chosen fields. In keeping with the multi-disciplinary nature of the field, we offer course work that focuses on Global Strategy and Global Political Economy. PhD seminars offered by IB Department faculty include courses on Institutions and Development, Global Strategy, Knowledge and Innovation, International Finance, and International Political Economy.
Program highlights include a four year fellowship (with a fifth year conditional on performance), close collaboration with faculty, and the ability to leverage resources across local business schools, think-tanks, The World Bank, International Monetary Fund, and other organizations in D.C., one of the most vibrant intellectual centers of politics and economics in the US.
For more information on our faculty and program, please contact Professor Heather Berry (email@example.com) and visit our website: https://business.gwu.edu/academics/departments/international-business